NT 3404 Mt., Mk., Lu. And Jn.
James A. Turner
1. The gospel writers do not give us all of the details about the order that Jesus gave these sayings.
2. What order do you think that he gave these sayings?
3. The following is the order I think that they may have been given.
1. Luke says, “ And
when they came unto the place which is called The Shull, (or
2. This reference strongly indicates that this was the first saying.
3. Our God is surely a forgiving
God. He wants all men to be saved (II Pet. 3
4. He forgives all who apply
the cleansing blood of Christ (Eph. 1
5. An alien sinner applies the
blood by believing (Jn.8
6. Baptism is a form of (Rom.6
II. “WOMAN, BEHOLD, THY SON!”
1. John says, “These
things therefore the soldiers did. But there were standing by the cross of
Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister and ------; When Jesus
therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by whom he loved,
he said unto his mother, Woman behold thy son (Jn. 19
2. John is describing himself
in verse 26 as the disciple “whom Jesus loved.” See also Jn.21
III. “BEHOLD, THY MOTHER.”
1. Verse 27 reads, “Then saith he to the disciple, Behold, thy mother! And from that hour the disciple took her unto his own home.”
2. John nearly always, if not always, speaks of himself in second person.
3. This surely shows the great confidence that Jesus had in the apostle John.
“VERILY I SAY UNTO THEE, TODAY SHALT THOU BE WITH ME IN
1. One of the malefactors “railed on him”, but was rebuked by the other malefactor,
“And he said to Jesus,” remember me when thou comest in thy kingdom. And he
said unto him, Verily I say unto thee,
today shalt thou be with me in
2. Does this mean that this criminal was saved? Absolutely it does.
3. Some today say that they want to be saved like the thief on the cross!
4. How should you answer them?
a. Do you really want to be hanged on a cross in order to be saved like the thief on
b.They will probably say, “The thief was saved without baptism, which shows that
baptism is not essential to salvation.”
c. How do you know that the thief
was saved without baptism? Mt. 3
about John’s preaching in the
to repent. Mt 3
and all the region round about the
d. While Jesus was on earth he had
the power to forgive sins (Mt. 9
of Christ is now in affect
baptism saves the alien sinner
V. “MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?
1. Mt. 27
2. Jesus had prayed three
times, and asked his Father, that if it was his will “let
this cup pass away from me.” Mt. 26
3. It was not the Father’s will that the cup should “pass away” from Jesus.
4. It was God’s plan before he
made man that Jesus should die as a sin offering for man (Isa.53
VI. “I THRIST”
1. John 19
2. Ps. 69
3. The heat of the day and the loss of blood must have been natural causes for his thirst.
1. John reads, “When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished ; and he bowed his head, and gave up his spirit.
2. It took the perfect
sacrifice of the perfect and sinless Son of God to satisfy the justice of God as an atonement for sin (Isa. 53
3. When Jesus died the veil of
the temple was miraculously rent showing that the way into heaven had been made
the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake; and the rocks were rent; and
the tombs were opened; and many bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep
were raised; and coming forth out of the tombs after his resurrection they
entered into the holy city and appeared to many. Now the centurion, and they
that were with him watching Jesus, when they saw the earthquake, and the
things that were done, feared exceedingly, saying, Truly this was the Son of
b.Do you suppose that the prayer of Jesus, “Father, forgive them for they know
not what they do” was beginning to be answered?
c. Mark and Luke mention only the renting of the veil of the temple (Mk.
first! Would you have put it first?
VIII.“FATHER INTO THY HANDS I COMMEND MY SPIRIT”
1. Luke 23
think ye of the Christ? Whose son is he (Mt. 22
3. What then will you do unto Jesus who is
called Christ? Mt. 27