THE BOOK OF ACTS
JAMES A. TURNER
Read all of the references given in the questions. They will give you a better understanding.
You may use your Bible to answer the Study Questions.
1.†† How do we know
Luke is the author of Acts (Acts 2
2.†† What did Christ do during the forty days after his resurrection?
3.†† What charge did he give the apostles just prior to his ascension?
4.††† What question did they ask when he told them that they would "be baptized in the Holy Spirit not many days hence"?
5.†† What reply did Jesus give?
6.†† About how many
years does the book cover? Prove your answer (Acts 1
7.†† When were the apostles to receive power?
8.†† What was to come
when the power came (Mk.9
9.†† The apostles were to be witnesses of Christ first in ____________and ____††††† -†††† ____and then in ____________†† _and then unto _____________________.
10. Give two things that the angels told the disciples after the ascension of Christ.
11..What did the disciples do during the time between the ascension and Pentecost (Acts -14)?
tell us about how the brothers of Jesus had changed (Jn.7
12. Give the details of the selection of an apostle to take Judas' place.
followed what other annual feast of the Jews (Lev.23
14.† By what names is
the feast called in the Old Testament? Why the different names (Lev.23
15. What does the word Pentecost mean in Greek? See McGarvey's Commentary on Acts. Show how the feast would
always occur on the first day of the week (Lev.23
16.† What people had
gathered together in
17.† How did the Holy Spirit come upon the apostles?
four things which show that the apostles were the only ones baptized with the
Holy Spirit on Pentecost (Acts 1
19. What were some of the peculiar things about the manifestation of tongues?
20.†† What caused the
multitude to come together (2
21.††† How does Luke describe the reaction of the multitude?
22.††† What did Peter tell them about the prophecy of Joel?
†††††††† What is the meaning of "the last
days"† as used in this passage and a
number of other passages (Isa.2
23.† Why did Peter quote from Psa.
24.†† What did he say about David's throne (Acts -35)?
25.† What promise is he referring to in Acts 2
27.† What did some ask Peter after he said, "that God hath made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom ye crucified?
28.† What did Peter tell them?
that "for (KJV), or unto (ASV)" in Acts does not mean "because of" as some teach (Mt.26
30.† How did Peter exhort the people?
31. What were the three thousand converts added unto?
32.†† In what things did they continue steadfastly?
33.† On what occasion is it stated that the disciples were ďhaving favor with all the people"?
34.† Give four of the main points concerning the miracle performed by Peter at the Beautiful Gate of the temple.
35. What seems to have been the primary purpose of the miracle?
36. What did Peter preach in this second sermon?
37. Why did the Jews
crucify Jesus (Acts3
38. What interpretation did Peter give of the prophecy of Moses?
39. Who arrested
Peter and John and why (Acts 4
40. What were two of the results of Peter's second sermon?
41.† What questions did the council ask Peter and John?
42.† Give three points of Peter's reply.
43.† What did the council say about the miracle (Acts -16)?
44.† What did Peter and John say when they charged them "not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus"?
45.† Why didn't the council punish them (Acts )?
46. Why did the disciples quote from the second Psalm in their prayer to God?
47. What were the two requests that they made in their prayer? 1.
48. What happened immediately after their prayer?
49. Were the
50. Why did the apostles change Josephs' name to Barnabas?
51. What was the sin of Ananias and Sapphira?
52. Did the severe discipline tear up the church (Acts )?
53. Tell about the healing done by the apostles following the death of Ananias and his wife? Were any sent away unhealed?
54. Who arrested all of the apostles?
55. Who released them? Why?
56. What did the high priest ask the apostles?
57. What did he say
about the blood of Christ? What had the disobedient Jews said about His blood
58. What were the two main points of the reply given by Peter and the apostles?
59. Who kept the council from slaying the apostles? How?
60. What did the council do to them?
61. What was the reaction of the apostles?
62. What complaint did the Grecian Jews make against the Hebrews?
63.† What did the apostles tell their brethren to do about the complaint? What kind of men were they to choose?
64.† What lesson
should we learn from the statement of the apostles in Acts 6
65.† The seven appointed were all† ________________ Jews.
66.† Why did the
apostles lay their hands on the seven (Acts 6
67. †Were any signs and wonders done by any except the apostles before the appointment of the seven? What does this indicate?
68.† What charges did the false witnesses make against Stephen (Acts -15)?
69.† Did he answer their charges? What did he do in his speech to the council?
70.† How did he
conclude his speech? How was his conclusion similar to Christ's speech to the
scribes and Pharisees (Mt.23
71.† What was the reaction of the council?
72.† What request did Stephen make as they were stoning him to death?
73.† List two things
that Luke tells us about Saul in connection with the death of Stephen (Acts , 8
74. What happened when the disciples were scattered abroad?
75. What signs and wonders were done by Philip at
76.† What three things did he preach to them about (Acts )?
77.† Why did the
apostles send Peter and John to
78.† What did Simon try to buy from the apostles? Does this indicate that he had never been converted (Acts , ; Mk. -16)?
79.† What did Peter tell him to do? Why is Peter's command here called "God's second law of pardon?
See I Jn. 1
80.† Why did Philip
81.† Who told him to go and "join thyself to this chariot"'?
82.† What was the Ethiopian eunuch doing when Philip ran to him?
83.† List four things which indicate that the eunuch was a very sincere man, and wanted to know the Lord's will.
84.† How do we know that there was sufficient water in this desert country to immerse the eunuch?
85.What happened to Philip after the conversion of the eunuch? The eunuch? Why?
86. Why didn't the angel of the Lord tell the eunuch what he
needed to do in order to be saved (II Cor.4
87.† Why was Saul
88.† Why did the Lord
appear to him (Acts -16,
89.† What did the Lord tell him to do?
90.† Why did God send Ananias to Saul, and what did he tell Saul to do (Acts )?
91.† Why did the Jews
92. †Where did Saul go
before he went to
93.† Who carried him to the apostles? Why? How long was this after his conversion?
94.† What miracle did Peter perform at Lydda? At Joppa?
95. What kind of woman was Dorcas?
96.† What does chapters nine, ten, sixteen, and eighteen teach
about how God answers the prayers
of alien sinners (Acts9
97.† Why didn't the angel of the Lord tell Cornelius what to do to be saved? What did he tell him (Acts -23)?
98.† Why did Peter receive the vision of the sheet and all manner of four footed beasts?
99.† Note that Cornelius sent messengers for Peter on the ninth hour Jewish time () of the day. They arrived at Joppa "on the morrow" at about the sixth hour or 12AM. Peter lodged
them and "on the morrow he
arose and went forth with them." They arrived in
100. What had Cornelius done by the time Peter arrived at his house?
101. What did he do when Peter came to his house? What did Peter tell him?
102. What question did Peter ask Cornelius? What was his reply?
103. When did the Holy Spirit fall on Cornelius and those gathered at his house?
104. Were they baptized with the Holy Spirit? Give proof for
your answer (ActslO
105. What seems to have been the primary purpose of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on these Gentile people? See Turnerís Comments.
106. What did Peter command them to do ? Why?
107. Why did "they that were of the circumcision" contend with Peter?
108. What was their attitude after Peter told them the full story (Acts )?
109. At what place were the disciples first called
Christians? Why (Isa.56
110. Whom did the apostles send to
111. Who assisted Barnabas in his work at
112. What did the disciples do after they heard the prophecy of Agabus?
113. What was Herod going to do with Peter? Why?
114. What happened to Peter? Why?
115. What happened a short time later to Herod? Why?
116. Why did Barnabas and Saul go on the first missionary journey?
117. Who accompanied them on this journey?
118. What two places did they visit on the
119. What did they do at each place?
120. Where did they stop after leaving
121. Where did they go to do missionary work when they arrived at Antioch of Pisidia?
122. How did Paul conclude his sermon at
123. What request did the people make of Paul and Barnabas?
124. Why did the Jews contradict the things spoken by Paul the next Sabbath?
125. What did Paul say to them?
126. What was the attitude of the Gentiles?
127. Comment on the statement, ----"as many as were
ordained to eternal life believed" (Actsl3
††††† See Turnerís Comments.
128. Why did Paul and Barnabas leave
129. What was the result of their teaching in the synagogue
at Iconium (Actsl4
130. Why did they leave Iconium (Acts 14
131. At what place did the people attempt to sacrifice to them as gods? Why?
132. How did they later treat Paul in this city?
133. Where did they go after leaving Lystra (Acts -21)?
134. What places did they revisit on this first journey? What did they do at each church?
135. Why were they able to appoint elders so soon after the churches were established?
136.† What did they do when they got back to Antioch of Syria (Acts -28)?
137. What kind of false teachers came to the church at
Antioch some time after Paul and Barnabas returned from their first journey,
and what did they teach (Acts 15
138.†† What did Paul
and Barnabas do about the matter (Acts 15
139.†† Does the
140. List three main points of Peter's address at the
141. What application did James make of Amos 9
142. What two things did the church at
143. Did it solve the problem? Why? What lesson should we
learn from this (Gal. 1
144. What caused the separation between Paul and Barnabas? Which one was wrong about the matter?
†††††† See Turnerís Comments.
145. Who did Paul choose for his second journey? What direction did they go?
146. How may we account for the fact that Paul had Timothy circumcised and refused to have Titus circumcised (Acts 16-.1-3; Gal.l-.1-5)?
147. What churches made up "the churches of
148. What did Paul and Silas deliver to the churches† as they went on their way through the cities?
149. What places did Paul want to go on this journey that he did not go? Why?
150. What vision did Paul receive at
151. Who joined the company of Paul, Silas, and Timothy at
152. Where did they do their first preaching at
153. What indicates that there were no infants in
154. What did she do immediately after her conversion (Acts
155. Why was Paul and Silas put in
156. List three notable things that happened at about .
157. How has Acts 16
†††††† Is there any Bible proof of any one being saved by Faith alone?
158.† How do we know that there were no infants in the jailor's household (Acts -34)?
159.† Why did Paul and Silas refuse to leave the prison when the sergeants told them they could go?
160.† What did they do after they were released?
161. Where did they teach at Thessalonica, and what were the results? What did the Jews accuse them of?
162.What were the results of their
teaching in the synagogue at
163. Where is Luke at this time?
164. Why was Paul's spirit provoked at
165. What did he do at
166. Where did Paul go after he left
167.† How did Paul
begin his work at
168.† Why did Paul leave the synagogue? Where did he teach after leaving the synagogue?
169.† What epistles
did Paul write during this stay at
170.† What message did the Lord give Paul in the night by a vision?
171.† What is the meaning of the statement, "for I have much people in this city"?
172.† What happened when the Jews carried Paul before Gallio?
173.† How was Paul
received by the Jews in the synagogue at
174.† Acts 18
176. What regions did Paul go through on his return trip to
177. What condition did Paul find when he returned to
178. Why did Paul lay his hands on
the disciples at
179. How long did he teach in the synagogue at
180. List three notable things that happened during the two
years that Paul taught in the
181.† What churches
were evidently established during this period of time (Acts ; Rev. 1
182.† What further
plans did Paul have before he sent Timothy and Erastus
183.† What epistle did
Paul write near the end of his long stay at
184.† Why did Demetrius call a meeting of the silversmiths? What were the results?
185.† How great was
the danger for Paul and his companions in travel (Acts 19
186. When did Paul leave
187.† Why did Paul
decide to return through
188.† Paul wrote
______________________ (II Cor. 9
189. Who accompanied him as far as
190. List three important things that happened on this visit
191. Is every New Testament example binding? Discuss. See Turnerís Comments.
192. Why did Paul ask the Ephesian
elders to come to
193. Give four of the main points of his speech to the Ephesian elders. Describe their reaction.
194. What did the brethren at
195. What did Agabus, from
196. How was Paul and the
messengers of the churches received by James and the elders at
197. What happened when the seven days of purification were almost completed?
198. What request did Paul make of the chief captain as they were bringing him into the castle?
199. Give three of the main points of Paul's defense before the Jews. They listened to Paul until he mentioned what?
200. What did the chief captain intend to do to Paul after he was brought inside the castle? What question did Paul ask him? How did Paul receive his citizenship?
201. Why was the chief captain afraid when he learned that Paul was a Roman citizen?
202. What command did Ananias give after Paul told the council, "Brethren, I have lived in all good conscience until this dayĒ? How did Paul respond?
203. How did Paul divide the council? Why did his statement divide the council? Who saved Paul from the council?
204. How was Paul encouraged the following night (Acts )?
205. What curse did about forty Jews bind themselves under? How did Paul and the chief captain learn about the plot?
206. What did the captain then do with Paul? What did he say about Paul in his letter to Felix (Acts -30)?
207. What charges did the Jews bring against Paul in his trial by Felix?
208.† Give the
substance of Paul's defense. What was the out come of his trial (Acts 24
209.† What did Felix do after hearing Paul "concerning the faith in Christ Jesus"?
210. Why did Felix continue to commune with Paul? Why did he leave him bound when he was succeeded by Festus?1.
211.† How long had Paul been a prisoner when Festus became the next governor?
212. Why did the Jews ask Festus to send Paul back to
213. What was the outcome of Paul's trial before Festus?
Why did Festus ask Paul if he would go to
214. Why did Festus want King Agrippa to try Paul? Why was Paul glad to make his defense before King Agrippa?
215. Give the substance of Paul's speech before King Agrippa
216. What did Festus say to Paul as he was making his defense? How did Paul reply?
217. What question did Paul ask the King? How did he reply?
218. What was the reaction of all who heard Paul on this
occasion (Acts 26
219. Who had charge of Paul on the voyage to
220.† How do we know
that Luke went to
221.How did Julius show kindness to
Paul when they "touched at
222.† What advice did
Paul give about the journey while they were at Fair Havens? Why did most of
them want to coast along the island to
223.How bad was the storm that caught their ship? What did Paul tell them before the ship was wrecked? 1.
224.† How long had
they been fasting when Paul encouraged them to eat, and how did he encourage
them (Acts 27
225. Why didn't the soldiers kill the prisoners when the
ship wrecked (Acts27
226. Give an account of their landing on the
227. How did the people of the island treat them? What did they say when Paul was bitten by a venomous viper? What did they later say about him?
228. What miracles did Paul perform on this island? How long did they stay at Melita?
229.† What happened at
Puteoli? Who met them at the Three Travens, and what affect did it have on Paul (Acts28
230.† What kindness
was shown Paul when they reached
231.† What was the substance of Paul's address to the chief Jews? How did they reply?
232.† What were the results of his preaching to the great company of Jews that came to his lodging later? Why did he quote from Isaiah on this occasion?
233.† How long did
Paul remain in