JAMES A. TURNER question before you answer the
question The references are given.
STUDY QUESTIONS ON ROMANS and a fuller understanding.
Questions On Introduction
I. Paul wrote Romans from what city?
2. At the time of the writing he was ready to go where and for what purpose (11 Cor.9.1-5;
3. What other New Testament epistles had Paul already written?
4. Romans was written about A.D ______.
5. How do we know that
Paul did not establish the church at
What evidence is there that Peter did or did not establish the
three of the possible ways that the church could have been established
(Acts ; 8
things which indicate that the church had been established for some time
9. How was Christ declared to be the Son of God "with power"?
Paul refer to this when Christ had been declared to be the Son of God at least
twice by a voice from heaven? (Mt.3
11. Whom did Paul say
he was in debt to and why (Rom.1
12. What does the answer to number eleven mean?
13. Why was Paul not ashamed of the gospel?
14. Does the above answer have any
relationship with Romans 6
15. Paul said, the gospel had been promised by whom? Where?
Paul received the apostleship for what purpose (Rom- 15
17. Where was the faith of the Roman Christians spoken of?
18. What statements in -32 indicate that the Gentiles had had opportunity to know God?
List four. .
19. Why did God give the Gentiles "up unto their vile passions" and "unto a reprobate
20. What are some of the things they did when God gave them up unto their vile passions"?
21. Chapters two and three are directed primarily to the Jewish or Gentile Christians? Give
proof for your answer.
22. According to Paul what kind of person is inexcusable?
23. What is the purpose of the "riches of God's goodness, forbearance and long suffering"?
24. How can a person despise or count lightly God's goodness forbearance and long
25. What is a person doing when he counts it lightly?
26. How is God going to judge every man according to verse six?
27. Those who persevere in doing good are seeking what?
28. What does he say would happen to those that sinned without the Law? With the Law?
29. According to what person is just before God?
30. How did the Gentiles become "a law to themselves"?
31. What should this teach us relative to our conscience?
32. What are some of the things that the Jews thought that they were capable of since they
had the Old Testament Law (2,17-24)?
33. By what will God judge the secrets of men ()?
34. What did Paul mean when he said, "my gospel"? Why?
35. On what condition does God regard a Gentile, or an uncircumcised person as a
Fleshly circumcision as given to Abraham (Gen. 17
type of what
37. Why was the name of God blasphemed among the Gentiles?
38. What lesson is there in the above question and answer for us?
Who is a Jew spiritually, or who is especially
chosen of God today (Isa. 56
40. What is real circumcision Col.2
What proof does the writer give to show that the Jews
were sinners as well as the Gentiles (3
42. He further said, "For all have ______________ and come short of
43. What is the righteousness that comes apart from the law (-24)?
44. Why does a man not have any room to boast about his goodness and salvation (-
45. How is Christ a propitiation for us and how do we receive the propitiation ()?
46. In he affirms that a man is justified by _____________ apart from the
47. Why did Abraham not have any room to boast, or glory about his salvation?
48. How was Abraham made righteous (Rom.4
49. Was Abraham counted a righteous man before or after he was circumcised in the flesh?
50. What was circumcision to him (Rom.4
51. What in particular was Paul referring to when he said of God "Who giveth life to the
dead, and calleth things that are not, as though they
52. What did he mean when he said of Abraham, "Who in hope believed against hope, to
the end that he might become a father of many nations, according to that which had
spoken, “so shall thou seed be” (Gen. 18
53. Christ was delivered up, or crucified because of __________________ and was raised
54. In chapters three through five the writer reasons that the only way one can be justified
whether Jew or Gentile, is through ___________ _____________.
55. How did sin and death enter into the world?
56. Is spiritual and physical death included
in Rom.5--12? Prove your answer. (Rom.5
57. Adam was a type of what person that was
to come (Rom.5
58. In verse 5 Paul says that, we are justified by his blood. How are alien sinners justified by
the blood of Christ(Rom.6
and justified by the blood of Christ (I Jn. I
59. In verse 10 he says that, “we shall be saved by his life”. How are we saved by the life of
Christ (Jn. ; I Pet. )?
60. In verse 20 he says that, “the law came in that transgression, or sin, might ____________
But where sin abounded, __________ did abound more exceedingly”.
6 1. How did the law make transgression, or sin, abound? Did God give it to make people more
62. Why does he ask the question, “shall we continue in sin that grace may abound”! What is
his answer ?
to verse 3 how does a person get into Christ where salvation is (Gal.3
64. According to I Cor. 15
and the resurrection of Christ. How are all of these obeyed in a form (Rom.6
65 Was this what Paul was speaking of when he said they had “obeyed from the
heart that form of doctrine or teaching?”
66. What happened when they obeyed the “form of doctrine?
does the alien sinner apply the blood of Christ which cleanses one from sin
(Ex. ; I Cor. 6
68. In verse I4 he said, “sin shall not have______________ over you, for ye are not under law,
but under ________________.
69. What determines whether we are the Lord’s servants, or the devil’s servants (16-18)?
70. The wages of sin is _________, but the free gift is ________________.
that salvation is a free gift, (Eph.2
Discuss and give details. This question will count 4 times as much as the others.
72. In chapter seven the writer uses the marriage illustration to teach what lesson?
73. In verse 9-he says that he was “alive apart from the law once, but when the commandment
74. What did he mean by the above statement?
75. Give the substance of four passages which
show that Paul was not speaking of himself as a Christian when he said in Rom.
76. In verse 10 he says that “the commandment, which was unto life. this I found to be unto
death”. What commandment was he referring to and why did it bring death instead
77. What could the law not do? Why?.
78. Paul says that, “they that are after the flesh mind ___________________ . But they that
are after the Spirit _______________________ ; and the mind of the flesh is
_____________ and they that are in the flesh cannot _____________________.
79. What does he mean when he is talking about a person that is “in the flesh” and thus
cannot please God?
80. He further says, “So then, brethren we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh;
for if we live after the flesh, ye must______________________ but if by the Spirit you _ ________________________.
81 How do we put to death “the deeds of
the body” by the Spirit (Co1.3
82. How many are sons of God?
83. How does “the Spirit bear witness with our
spirit that we are sons of God” (Rom.8
84. How are the sufferings of this life to be compared to the glary that will be revealed to the
faithful children of God?
85. Does any person know exactly how to word his prayer and how “to pray as we ought”? If
what encouragement is there for us to pray (Rom.8
86. What does the word intercession mean?
87. Why does Paul reason that we should not worry about who is against us if God is for us
88. Can anything separate a Christian from the love of God and the love of Christ? Discuss
(Jude 21; Mt.13
detailed way. This question will count four times as much as the other questions.
89. What does he say that Hosea had prophesied concerning the call of the Gentiles?
What does he say that Isaiah had said concerning the seed of
91 What is the “stone of stumbling,” that the writer speaks of in the last part of chapter nine?
Give proof (Rom.9
Paul’s heart’s desire and prayer to God for
He realized that they had a zeal for God, but it was not according to _______________.
In their ignorance they had sought to establish _______________and had not submitted
93. ____________________ is the end of the law to every one that ____________ (Rom ).
94. What reason does he give for there being no distinction between Jew and Greek (Rom.
-15; Joel 2
95. Paul says that God is __________________ unto all that call upon him and that whosoever
shall call upon the name of the Lord shall _______________.
96. What is necessary in order for one to call upon the name of the Lord? Give what he says
which explains the meaning of the passage.
97. Faith comes by _______________ and _______________________________________.
98. Tell two things that he said about the glad
tidings being carried to
99. List two things that the writer said to show that not all of the Israelites were lost, and that not
all of them had been cut off.
100. What reply did God give Elijah concerning the number that had not worshiped Baal?
101. The Jews were cast off because of ___________________ and the Gentiles as a
______________ were grafted in.
102. What exhortation did he then give the Gentile people?
List two things that the writer said about the goodness
and severity of God (
104. He admonished them to present their bodies as ______________ to God. B. Explain.
105. Comment on the meaning of Rom. 12
106. In chapter 12 be likens the church or body of Christ, to ______________________.
What lesson does he then give (
107. We are not to be conformed or fashioned according to this world, but to be transformed by
the _____________________that we may prove what is the______________, _________
108. He told them to let their love be with ___________________, and to abhor
______________and to cleave to _____________________ (
109. We are to render to no man ____________ for evil, but we are to take thought for things
_______________________________________ (Rom. ).
110. How may we heap coals of fire upon the head of an enemy (Rom. -2 l)?
111. What is meant by the statement “Thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head”?
112. Give three reasons why a Christian should be in subjection to civil or higher powers.
113. He admonished, “Owe no man anything save to ____________________ for he that
_________________hath fulfilled ___________________ (Rom.13
114. List four things taught in chapter fourteen about the strong and the weak in the church.
This question will count four times as much as the other questions.
115. Those who are strong spiritually should bear _________________and not to please
themselves. Each Christian should seek to please his neighbor for that which is good, unto
116. Paul was persuaded that the Roman Christians were full of all ______________________,
.filled with all __________________ and able to ______________________(Ram. -
117. Why was Paul bold in writing them?
Paul planned to go by
Paul planned to go to
120. Paul affirmed that he had fully preached the gospel from ________________ to
121. Where did Paul make it his aim to preach the gospel? Why?
122. Why was Paul going to
123. What did he tell them about the churches of
124. What did he ask for them to pray with him about?
125. What person did he commend unto the
B. What did he ask them to do concerning her?
C. Do you think she may have carried this Epistle to the Roman Christians?
What indicates that the disciples at
127. He asked the brethren to "mark them that_________________________________
128. What does he mean by "mark them"?