I & II Thessalonians. & I & II Corinthians
JAMES A. TURNER
Study Questions on First and Second Thessalonians
Luke gives an account of the establishment of the church of the
Thessalonians in Acts 17
2. Give two good reasons why Paul did not carry Luke with
3. Where in this city did Paul do his first teaching?
4. What was the main emphasis of his preaching?
How could they determine that he was telling them the truth (Acts -12)?
5. How does Luke record the results of his work in the Synagogue?
6. Who were the "devout Greeks" and the "chief women,'?
The church of the Thessalonians from the beginning was made up primarily
of ____________people and later included ___________ (Acts 17
8. With whom did they lodge in Thessalonica?
How was he treated for giving them a place to stay?
9. What charges were brought against him?
Why did the Jews do this?
10. When and why did the brethren send Paul and Silas away by night?
11. How were the
Jews in the synagogue at
Why did Paul have to leave
13. Paul gave
instructions to those that conducted him to
Several commentaries express doubt as to whether Silas
and Timothy got to
What indications are there that Paul and Silas may have stayed at
Thessalonica more than three
Sabbath days mentioned in Acts 17
Had Paul wanted to return to Thessalonica? Had he? Why (I Thess.2
do passages like the above passage tell us about the statement that some make,, that
"everybody has the right
18. Paul had sent ____________ back to this church. Why?
19. There is at least strong probability that
Paul had sent Silas from
was Paul when he wrote I and 11 Thessalonians? Prove
your answer in detail (I Thess. 3
21. Paul is still on the _________ journey at the time of writing and the time would be about _______ A.D.
22. Give four of the primary reasons why Paul
wrote the first letter to the Thessalonians (I Thess.
23. Several commentaries reason that the Thessalonians had gotten so excited about the
second coming of Christ that they had quit work and were just waiting for Christ to come. Is this a logical conclusion?
Discuss (I Thess.l
24. When Paul wrote I Thessalonians the brethren had already sounded forth the gospel in the two large provinces of ____________ and _______________.
They had done this against what three difficulties (I Thess. 1
27. How were Paul and Silas supported during
their work at Thessalonica (I Thess. 1
28. How does Acts 18
29. Are these readings at least in harmony with
other passages? Discuss (Phil. 1
II Cor. 11
30. How did Paul address both of his letters to the brethren at Thessalonica?
Why was this address very appropriate?
32. What shameful
treatment is Paul referring to in I Thess. 2
33. Paul affirmed that their exhortation was not of _______________ , nor of _______________nor in _______ and that they did not use words of or a cloak of _______________ or a cloak of _______________; nor did they seek the ___________________.
34.. Give three things that Paul said about the
way that they behaved themselves before the Thessalonians (I Thess.2
35 What do
such passages as I Thess.2
36. How did they receive their message?
37. How had
they become imitators of the churches of God in
38. Why did Paul say that the rebellious Jews were "contrary to all men"?
39. Paul had been separated from them in presence but not in ______________ and he had endeavored to ________________.
could the Thessalonians be Paul's hope, joy, and crown of glorying before Jesus
at his coming (Phil. 2
41. What kind of a report had Timothy brought concerning the brethren at Thessalonica?
42. Why did Paul desire so much to see them again? Who was he asking for help?
exhortation does he give them in 4
44. What did he say about those that might reject the above teaching?
lesson should we learn from this (I Thess.4
45. What is
the meaning of concupiscence as used in I Thess.4
How does the American Standard and The New American Standard read?
kind of uncleanness is the writer speaking of in 4
47. The Thessalonians were manifesting their love toward _______________ that were in all _____________.
48. What does their example teach us concerning the fellowship that should exist between congregations in any given area?
49. What did
Paul say that God would do for the righteous dead at the second advent of
Christ (I Thess.3
51. about "the_______________”. Is this word used in the New Testament?
53. 51. How do they spin their doctrine to get two resurrections out of this passage?
What two classes
of-people is the writer speaking of in I Thess.4
What other classes are included in I Thess. 5
53. All humanity may be grouped in what four categories?
54. How does I Cor.
55. Read the following passages and then list at least ten things that the Bible teaches about the second coming of Christ.
Give the reference and the substance of the passage that teaches each particular thing-
56. List three passages, which teach that the righteous and the unrighteous will be raised and judged at the same time.
5'7. Paul exhorted the Thessalonians to abound
more and more in __________and to study to _______ and to do
______________ and to ________________as they had charged them (I Thess.4
58. How does the
writer reason that the Day of Judgment should not overtake Christians "as
a thief in the night" (I These. 5
59. What did he exhort them to do concerning those that labored among them and admonished them?
60. He exhorted them to ___________ the disorderly, to encourage the _________ to support the ________ and to be ____________ toward all .
61. List six other exhortations given in chapter five.
62. What charge did he give concerning the epistle?
63. What seems to be the pattern concerning all
of the epistles of the New Testament (I Thess.5
64. II Thessalonians was written from
________________probably about ___________after I Thessalonians (Acts -1 1;11 Thess.1
65. List three of the purposes of II
Thessalonians (II Thess. 1
66. What were the growing and abounding in when Paul wrote this epistle?
67. List five things that he says about the
second coming of Christ in 1
68. What does the statement "or by epistle as from us" seem to imply?
69. What will God do to those that do not love the truth? Why?
how the Thessalonians had been chosen of God from "the beginning unto
salvation in sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (I Pet.
71. How had God called the Thessalonians to receive salvation?
How does God call men today (II Thess. ; Rom. - 15)?
must man do in order to be saved (Heb.5
73. What is
the meaning of II Thess.2
74. What two things did he ask them to pray for them, Paul, Silas, and, Timothy, about?
75. Who did he command them to withdraw from?
76. From the context what is the particular thing that he is talking about as being disorderly?
Does the rule apply to other things?
77. What did he admonish them to do about any person that did not obey the instruction of the epistle?