JAMES A. TURNER
QUESTIONS ON I AND 11 TIMOTHY AND TITUS
I The epistles written by Paul before his first imprisonment
I . 4.
The epistles written during his first imprisonment at
I . 3. 2. 4.
The epistles written in between his first imprisonment at
I 2. 3. 4.
4. His last epistle was written to ______________ -during his ______________.
Paul was at ____________ on the ________________ missionary journey
when he wrote I Thess., and there also
when he wrote _______________ (Acts 18
6. I Corinthians was written during the latter part of Paul's stay at the city of _________
He was on the _______ -journey and the time of writing was
about _____ A.D. (Acts 19
7 . He wrote II
Corinthians from __________ probably about _______ months later (Acts 20
8. Galatians was probably written before Paul wrote _________ in about _____ A.D.
What are some of the things that militate against an early date of about
46 to 50 A.D. for the writing of Galatians (Gal.2
10. Romans was written from the city of __________ while he was still on the ___________journey and the time of writing would be about ______ A.D.
At the time of writing Paul was ready to go to _________ to deliver the ______________(11 Cor.9
12. Paul wrote _____________, _______________, _________________,
during the two years imprisonment at
things, which indicate that Ephesians, Colossians, and Philemon were written at
the same time, and were delivered by ____________ in company with Onesimus, a
slave of Philemon, whom Paul had converted (Eph. 6
List three things
which indicate that Philippians was written near the end of the above
imprisonment (Eph. 6
List three things which I Tim. and Titus have in common (I Tim. 1
17. How do we
know that Hebrews was written before 70 A.D. (Heb. 8
1 8 The date of Hebrews would probably be about ______ to _____ A.D. (Heb. -19, 23-25).
How do we know that 11 Tim. is the last epistle written by Paul (11
20. If we count Hebrews as one of Paul's epistles this would mean that Paul wrote _____
of the _______epistles of the New Testament, or more than _____ of the epistles of the New Testament.
21. 1 Tim. is addressed "unto Timothy, my __________________________.
When did Paul convert Timothy (I Tim.6
Why did Paul exhort Timothy to stay at
What does I Tim. 1
24. Paul states that before his conversion he was ___________ and a and ___________ but that he obtained mercy because __________________.
What two lessons should we learn from the example of Paul about the
conscience of man (Acts 22
What does Paul say about those that desired to be teachers of the law,
and what Warning does James give on this subject (I Tim. 1
He says that "Christ Jesus came into the world to save
________________ of whom I am _____________ . " Why does he refer to himself as
chief of sinners (I Cor. 1 5
28. What is
the faithful saying that the writer refers to, and what is given as proof of
the saying (1
29. He exhorts Timothy to war the ___________ and to hold on to _________ and a good ______________ which some had thrust from them and_____________. What does he mean by the latter part of this statement?
Paul had delivered Hymenaeus and Alexander "unto __________ that they might be
taught not to ________________. What
did he mean by the latter part of this statement (I Cor.5
31. Who did he exhort them to pray for? Why?
What are the three things that Christ had appointed Paul to do (2
Verse four states
that God "would have ________ men to be saved,,
and come to the ________________________________." Compare this verse with
34. How should women adorn themselves?
What is the primary thrust of (I Tim.2
What two reasons are given as to why women are not to teach in the
public assemblies of the church and exercise dominion over men (2
37. Would it be right for a woman with outstanding knowledge and ability to speak to the public assembly of the church, on an important Bible subject, if the elders or leaders of the church give her permission, and encourage her to speak?
38. If a man seeks "the office of a bishop he desireth _________________________. (B) What is the meaning of the word bishop?
39. Give the
different words, and the meaning of the words that are used to refer to the office,
or work of elders. Read
40. No congregation of the Church has complete organization until it has its own ______________and ________________.
41. Every full-grown Christian should have all the qualifications listed for elders in
42. Paul was writing to Timothy to tell him how "men ought to behave themselves 'm the house of God, which is ___________________________________________.
the new name for God's people to be given (Isa.56
44.List three things that he said would come in later, or, latter times.
45. What is
meant by last "days" (Isa.2
46. Under the New Testament a person is free to eat _____________ as long as he gives
47. How may we account for the difference of the Old Testament and the New Testament on the subject of eating?
48. What comparison does he make of physical exercise, and spiritual exercise, or godliness?
49.How does Paul say that Timothy could be a good minister?
50. What does he exhort Timothy to refuse?
51.How, or in
what sense, is God the "Savior of all men" (Ps.24
Timothy to give heed to until Paul returned to
What gift is he speaking of in
and II Tim. 1
54. Paul told Timothy to take head to __________ and to ________ and that by
continuing do so "thou shalt save ______________________.
Timothy instructed to treat
I. The elder men
2.The elder women
3. The younger men
4. The younger women
56. What does he say about the person that "provideth not for his own, and specially his own household"?
not to be "enrolled" by the church unless they
1 2 . .
58. What seems to be the meaning of the church enrolling widows?
59. What did he desire the younger widows to do?
60. Elders that ________________ are to be counted worthy of "double honor
B. What is meant by "double
honor" (I Tim . ; 1 Cor. 9
61. Accusations are not to be received against elders of the church except at the __________________________ Is this passage violated by some Christians?
Does verse twenty-three justify "social drinking" of alcoholic
beverages? Read first
thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tent of meeting,
that ye die not, it shall be a statue for ever throughout your generations
" (Lev. 10
"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is
"Be not among winebibbers,"
"Who hath complaining? Who hath
wounds without cause? Who hath redness of eyes? They that terry long at the
"For he shall be great in the
sight of the Lord, and he shall drink no wine nor strong drink
"And be not drunken
with wine wherein is riot, but be fined with the Spirit" (Eph.5
"Be not deceived
Let us walk becomingly, as in the day, not in reveling and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness not in strife and jealousy. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make
not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof' (Rom. -14).
Servants that had believing masters were not to ________________,
because they are brethren
64. Those that are "minded to be rich" fall into___________ and a __________ and many__________ and _____________ such as drown men in ___________________.
65Timothy was to charge the rich to
66 Paul admonished Timothy to flee ____________ and to follow after __________,
___________________, ________________, _________________ , _______________.
67.Timothy was about. _____ years old when this admonition was given.
68.What is the "good confession" That Timothy had made?
69. How could the rich lay "up in store for themselves a good
foundation against the time to come (I T'un.6
Compare I Tim.6
QUESTIONS ON TITUS Chapter One
I In the salutation of all three of these epistles Paul speaks of himself as an apostle of Jesus Christ. Timothy and Titus knew that he was an apostle. Why then the need for him to do this?
2. Titus was Paul's true ____________ after a ______________.
B. What does the above statement mean?
3 . What does Paul say that God can not do?
Are there other things God cannot do (Heb. 10
5 . Paul left Titus in
7.List two things that he told Titus about "vain talkers and deceivers".
8.What kind of people were the people of
9.What was Titus to do about the above conditions?
10.Discuss the meaning of -16.
I 1. Comment on 2
12 He was to exhort the "aged men to be ______________, _____________, ________,
sound in ______________, in ________________, in ________________. m m
13. He was to exhort the aged women to "be reverent in _____________ not _________________ nor enslaved to much ______________.
women were to train the younger women to
15. Titus was exhorted to be an ensample of _____________ and to speak ________.
16.He was to
exhort servants to
17. What is the meaning of the word "purloining"?
18. Paul affirms that "the grace of God hath appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us, to the intent that , denying ___________ and ___________ we should live ____________and ___________ and ___________ in this present world".
19. God's people are to be zealous of _________________________.
with Mt .7
Titus was to tell the brethren in
to speak evil of _____________ not to be _____________ to be ______________ showing all meekness toward all men".
How does Paul describe the state of all men before they obey the gospel
God in his mercy had saved the brethren in
B. What is the "washing of regeneration"
24. Titus was to exhort them to be careful to maintain ___________________. and to maintain good works for _____________ that they be not unfruitful.
25. What was Titus to shun?
26. What was he to do about a factious man?
Who was Paul planning on sending to take Titus' place at
Titus to do?
28. What instruction does he give about Zenas and Apollos, and what does this show about Paul's work at this time?
29. The epistle was written by Paul in the period between his first ________________and his second ___________________ or about ______ A.D.
QUESTIONS ON II TIMOTHY
I . Paul wrote 11 Timothy during his ______________ in about ______ A.D.
2. How does Paul speak of Timothy in the salutation?
What seems to be the primary purpose of the epistle (1
4. List and
make appropriate comments on six of the exhortations that the writer gave
5.What statement does Paul make about his conscience in verse three?
6. What was he remembering and longing for in regard to Timothy?
7. According to verse five, where and when does the proper rearing of a
8. In respect to the use of the gift that Timothy had Paul said, "For God gave us not a spirit of______________ but; of _________________ and __________________.
9. Christ abolished _____________ and brought_____________ and ___________to light through the Gospel.
says that he was not ashamed to suffer as a prisoner because
11.What good comments does he make about Onesiphorus?
Do the admonitions given in 2
Give the meaning of the illustrations in 2
14. He said that he was suffering hardship unto bonds as a ___________ but the
____________________was not bound.
15. What does he say about enduring for Christ in -13?
16. What two things did he urge him to do that he might be "a workman that needeth not to be ashamed"?
17. II Timothy reads, "If we endure, we shall also,_____________ with him, if we shall deny him, he also will ____________ if we are faithless, he ______________for he cannot deny himself'.
18. In chapter two he says that in every great house there are some vessels unto honor and some unto dishonor.
A. What is he referring to as a great house?
B. What is he referring to as a vessel?
C. How does one become a vessel of honor?
19. Paul urged Timothy to flee_________________ and follow after __________,
_____________________, _____________________, ______________________.
20. About how old was Timothy at this time?
21.List two things that he admonished Timothy to shun or refuse, and tell why.
22. Paul said, "in the last days _____________ times shall come".
B. What do the "last days" refer to?
23.List eight things that he said would be characteristic of the times referred to.
I . 5
4 8. .
24. What did he tell him to do about those "holding a form of godliness, but having denied the power there of?
25. In chapter three he speaks of women who were "ever learning, and never
able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Why were they not able to come to the knowledge of the truth?
Why does he mention the matter of Jannes and Jambres with standing
Moses, and what in particular in he referring to (Ex.7
27. The writer says that all "that would live godly in Christ Jesus shall ____________.
28. "Every scripture inspired of God is profitable for _________ for __________ for ______________ for __________________which is in righteousness; that the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto ___________________________.
29. How long had Timothy known the sacred writings?
30. In chapter four he says that "the time will come when they will not endure
the sound doctrine; but, having itching ears, will heap to themselves teachers after ________________and will turn away their ears from the __________ and turn aside unto __________________.
31. Paul charged Timothy to "preach the ______________ ; be urgent in season, out of season; reprove, exhort with all __________ and teaching. B. What does he mean by "in season, out of season"?
32. What reasons does he give for saying that "there is laid up for me I the crown of righteousness".
33. To whom else will the Lord give a crown of righteousness?
34. Paul exhorted Timothy, "Give _______________ to come shortly unto me; and "give diligence to come before ________________.
35.List three things that he told Timothy to bring with him.
36. What does he tell Timothy about Alexander the coppersmith?
37. What had happened at Paul's defense, and what does he say further about the matter?
38.What lesson should we learn from the above?
39.Who does he tell Timothy to salute?
40. What does he say about Erastus and Trophirnus, and what does
this tell us about his work before he was taken again as a prisoner?