I, II THESSALONIANS & I, II CORINTHIANS
JAMES A. TURNER
STUDY QUESTIONS ON 11 CORINTHIANS
1. Which epistles had Paul written prior to the writing of 11 Corinthians?
2. Where was Paul when he wrote this epistle?
Give all the information that establishes the place of writing (I Cor. 16
3. To whom is the epistle addressed?
B. What territory did the "Whole of Achaia" include?
C. Did it include Cenchreae?
4. Why had God comforted
Paul and Timothy in all of their affliction (IICor. 1
How does he describe the affliction that they had
B. What. does Luke tell us about this trouble (Acts -32)?
6. What were Paul's first plans in respect to visiting the Corinthians (II Cor. -16)?
B. Why did he change his plans (II Cor. -24)?
7.What accusation did some make against him because he changed his plans (II Cor. -19)?
B. Did they have any right to
make such charges (II Cor. -19; lCor. 16
8. What were the feelings of
Paul when he wrote I Corinthians (11 Cor.2
9. List three things that he tells them
concerning the brother they had withdrawn from ((II Cor.2
10. Why did Paul leave
11. Paul states that, "For we are a sweet savor of Christ unto God, in them that are saved, and in them that perish ........ Explain the meaning.
12. In chapter three he states that God made them sufficient as ministers of what?
B. How had God made them sufficient?
13. List four statements that he made about the Old Testament Covenant in chapter three.
14. The Jews were reading the law of Moses with a ______________upon their hearts. B. Why?
C. How could the veil be removed (11 Cor.3
15. What ministry is he speaking of in I I Cor.4
16. He further states that if their gospel was veiled, it was veiled because of what (11
17. What is the meaning of 11 Cor.4
Use examples from the book of Acts to show that the gospel is not
preached except by "earthen vessels" Acts 8
19. What is the meaning of
20. What is he referring
to as "the earthly house" in II Cor. 5
21. Give two statements
that he makes about his being willing to be absent from the body 11 Cor.5
B. What does he mean by being "absent from the body" (I
22. Give three of the
reasons that he gives for preaching the gospel as stated in II Cor.5
23. When does one become
a "new creature" in Christ (II Cor. 5
24. How does God reconcile men unto himself?
B. Why it there such a need for reconciliation (II Cor.
5 - 18; Isa. 59
25. Explain 11 Cor. 5
26. How does the Bible describe "the day of salvation"?
B. To whom is the writer speaking of, Christians, or alien sinners?
27. What admonition does Paul give the
Corinthians concerning their affection for Paul and Timothy (I I Cor.6
28. What does he say about
being yoked with unbelievers (I I Cor.6
29. What was Paul's condition when he reached Macedonia (. I I Cor. 7.- 5-6)?
30. How had God comforted Paul (II Cor. 7
31. Why did Paul for a while regret that he had written I Cor.?
32. How does Paul use the
Corinthians (11 Cor.8
B. How had the Macedonians been encouraged (11 Cor.9
33. What was the purpose of the bounty that Paul and his co- laborers were collecting from
these churches that were made up primarily of
Gentile people (Acts 11
34. List six things said about giving in chapters eight and nine. .
35. What is the meaning, of
II Cor. 8
B. Why does it require more effort to do things honorable in the sight of men than it does in the sight of God?
36. On what basis do some affirm that chapters ten through thirteen constitute another epistle?
B. How may we account for the abrupt change in the tone of the epistle.
was Paul afraid that the Corinthians would be corrupted (11 Cor. I 1
38. Why did Paul resort to "foolishness", or the matter of making his own defense (II
39. How does he say he compared to the other
apostles (11 Cor. II
40. List some of the things
that Paul suffered for Christ's sake (11 Cor. 1 1
41. Give five of the
statements that he made about the false teachers at
42. Why did Paul and his
co-laborers not take any pay from the Corinthians (I Cor.9
43. Who is he speaking of in
11 Cor. 12
44. Why was Paul given "a thorn in the flesh"?
B. What did he ask the Lord to do about it?
C. What did the Lord do?
D. What should this teach us about how prayers are answered?
45. What did he say he would do when he came to them the third time? List four things (11