HEBREWS, James, Peter, John, Jude
STUDY QUESTIONS ON HEBREWS #1
1. For what primary purpose was the Epistle written?
2. How does the writer go about carrying out the primary purpose of the Epistle?
3. What points of internal
evidence indicate that Paul is the writer of Hebrews (Compare Heb. 1
4. Through whom, and how, did God speak unto “the fathers”,?
5. What it the meaning of the writers statement
that God “hath at the end of these days — (ASV),these
last days (KJV, NKJV, RSV, N1V) spoken unto us in his Son.” (Isa. 2
6. List four of the things that the writer gives to show that Christ is greater than the prophets and angels.
7. What application did Paul
make of Ps.2
application does the writer make of Ps. 110
9. When will Ps. 110
10. The writer affirms that angels are “ministering spirits sent forth to do service for the sake of___________________________________________________.”
11. What does he say about the word, or message, that was spoken through angels, and what exhortation does he give?
12. How was the message of the apostles of Christ confirmed?
13. Some reason that Paul could not be the author of Hebrews on the basis of the reading
in verse three.. Discuss.
14. In verses six through eight of chapter two the writer is quoting from__________
15. What comment does the writer make after giving the quotations?
16. Give two of the reasons given in the latter part of chapter two as to why Jesus “partook of flesh and blood”.
17. In chapter three the writer affirms that Christ is the __________________and of
18. Give two reasons why Christ has “been counted worthy of more glory than Moses.”
“house” did Christ build (Mt. 16
C. The writer also affirms that we are “his house” if we_____________________
19. Give three statements
made in chapter three which show that a child of God can fall from grace (3
20. In what way does the writer reason that the Hebrew Christians were like the Israelites?
B. Why did the Israelites not profit by the “good tidings” preached to them?
21. What exhortation does the writer give about entering into God’s rest?
the power of the word of God described in Heb.4
23. On what basis does the writer reason that we should “draw near with boldness unto the throne of grace”? 1.
24. What people were to
serve as priests under the law (Ex. 28
25. What happened when other
men tried to make themselves priests (Nu. 16
26. What people are to serve
as priests under the New Testament (I Pet. 2
27. In chapter five the writer affirms that Christ is a priest for after the order of_ ___________________._____
28. Why was it going to be hard for the writer to explain, or interpret to the Hebrew Christians how that Christ is a ‘high priest after the order of Melchizedek”?
30. The Hebrews should have been _________when they still needed ____________
B. The writer affirms that, “solid food is for_ even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to ____________________
31. What did the writer mean by his exhortation for them to leave the “doctrine of the first principles of Christ and press on unto perfection”?
32. Give two of the statements made in chapter six which show that a child of God can fall away and be lost eternally.
33. Give two of the statements made in chapter six where the writer expresses confidence in the Hebrews.
34. What lesson should we learn from Paul’s expression of confidence in the Hebrews?
35. The writer describes Christians as those “who have fled for to lay hold of the hope set before us. Which we have as an • a hope both sure and steadfast and entering into that which is within the_ .______
36. What is the statement
“who have fled for refuge” based on (Ex.21
37. What is the meaning of “entering into that which is within the veil?
38. What is the meaning of the statement about Melchizedek that he was “without father
without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life”?
39. How does the writer go about showing how Melchizedek was greater than Abraham, and the Levitical priesthood?
does the Old Testament tell us about Melchizedek (Gen. 14
41 .Give three ways that the priesthood of Christ is greater than the Levitical priesthood.
42. The writer says that a change in the priesthood brought about what other change, and why?
43. What does he mean by the
statement that Christ is a “minister of the sanctuary, and of the true
tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man” (Ex. 25
44. What book and chapter is the long quotation in chapter eight about the new covenant taken from?
45. Hebrews 8
46. The Tabernacle had two compartments, the and the_______________________________.
47. What holy vessels were
in the first compartment of the tabernacle (Heb. 9
B. The second compartment?
48. What were the three items inside the ark of the covenant?
49. What was the purpose of the pot of manna (Ex. -34)?
50. When did Aaron’s rod bud, and why was it put in the ark (Nu. —)?
was in the ark of the covenant when it was placed in the temple that Solomon
built (I K. 8
52. The divisions of the tabernacle, and the
requirements concerning the entering of the second signified what (Heb. 9
53. What significant thing happened when Christ
died that had to do with this, and why? (Mt.27
54. What does the writer mean when he says that Christ “entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands”?
55. List two things that writer teaches about the death of Christ in chapter nine.
56. What does he say about the Old Testament Law and animal blood in chapter ten?
57. Why couldn’t animal blood make complete
atonement for sin? (Isa.53
58. How do we know that this book was written
before 70 AD. (Heb.8
59. List two things that the writer says about the “new and living way.”
60. He exhorts them to consider one another to provoke unto__________ as _______
not forsaking __________________but ____________one another and_________.
61. If the writer was referring to the
62. What does he say about those who sin willfully?
63. Is a child of God
sinning willfully when he willfully and deliberately does not assemble with the
saints to worship on the Lord’s day (Mk.16
64. Does Heb. mean that it is impossible to receive forgiveness for any willful sin? Give the reading of one or two of the newer versions, New American Standard Version, New Revised Standard Version, New International Version.
65. How do those readings compare with the
different readings of several versions on I Jn. 3
66. Is it very dangerous for
a child of God to decide “on this Lord’s day I am
going to miss the assembly of the saints in order to get double time pay for my
work” or “I deserve a day at the lake?” What will it cause (Lu.8
67. The writer says that the above sinners are doing what?
68. Is it a fearful thing
for a faithful Christians to ”fall into the hands of
the living God” (ll Pet. 1
69. Were these brethren being subjected to severe
persecution at this time (Heb. -38; 12
70. The writer said, “For ye have need of _________ that, having done the-will of God, ye may _____________________.
writer affirms that the “righteous one shall live by _________ and if he shrinks back
B. How does he then express his confidence in them?
to Heb. 11
did Abel do by faith, and what does this prove about the offerings of Cain and
74. How does Abel still speak to us?
75. List three things that the writer says that Abraham did by faith.
76. What did Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob confess, and what did they manifest by their confession?
77. What did Abraham believe in respect to the offering of his son Isaac as an offering?
78. How did Joseph manifest his faith “when
his end was nigh” (Gen.15
79. Discuss the choice that Moses made “when he was grown up”.
was Moses at the time, and what else did Stephen say about him (Ex. 2
does Heb. 11
does he mean by the admonition to “lay aside every weight, and the sin
which doth so easily beset us” (Heb.3
83. What is the primary difference between parental discipline and that which is administered by the Lord?
84. What are the two things that we are to
follow after according to Heb. 12
is the writer referring to in Heb. 12
86. List four things that he says that they had come to, and give the meaning.
87. What did the writer say that the Hebrew Christians had received “‘that cannot be shaken”?
is the relationship of this statement and Daniel 2
88. Every Christian should offer service to God with __________ and _________ for our God is a
89. In this last chapter the writer gives a number of exhortations concerning “‘every day”_______________________________________.
90. (1.) He admonished
(2). “Forget not to show love unto _________________ . for there some have
(3).. “Remember them that are in __________________ as __________with them.”
(4). “Let marriage be
had in __________ and let the
bed be undefiled
__________________and _____________ God will ______________.
“Be ye free from the love of ___________; content with ____________
(6). “Remember them that ___________ men that spoke unto you _______ _________ and considering the issue of their life, ___________their faith”.
(7). “Jesus Christ is the same ___________ and_________•and yea__________.
(8). “Be not carried away with divers and strange _____________________
(9). “We have an ___________where of they have no right to eat that serve at the_____________
(10) “Let us therefore go forth unto him __________________________ bearing ________________________________.
(11). “For we have not here an _______________ but we seek after_________________
(12) “Through him then let us offer a sacrifice of ________that is, ________ .
(13) “But to do good and to
(14) “Obey them that have the ___________over you and submit; for they __________________________________________.
How does 13
92. What does he say about what he had written to them?
93. What does he say about Timothy, and what person in Christ had the most association with Timothy?
94. The writer sent salutations from what people, and how would this fit Paul as the writer of the Epistle?
95. How does the closing salutation compare with Paul’s other books?